Congratulations!! You have decided to purchase a new home. Our Authentic Title professionals will lead you through the process. We respond quickly to meet your needs, while providing you with the expertise and guidance you need to complete the transaction and settle in your new home.
We play several key roles in getting you to the closing table. We contact the seller for information in order to complete an Abstract of Title. We then review the Abstract of Title for any issues that may arise. If there are any issues, we set in motion curative action to resolve them. We manage the necessary paperwork from both real estate agents and any lenders involved. We coordinate your property taxes and insurance for your new home. And as the closing agent, we call all the parties involved in the transaction to set a closing date, while keeping a close eye on the contractual time line.
At your closing, we obtain the signatures on all the closing documents (including mortgage loan documents) and receive and distribute payments related to the conveyance transaction. We then record documents that need to be recorded in the local land records office. Following the closing we issue you your Title Policy.
Once the act of sale is recorded we forward the paperwork for your records. If you are applying for a homestead exemption you need to bring the “Act of Sale” to your local tax assessors’ office. This will be mailed shortly after it has been recorded in the local land records office.
In Louisiana, buyers are typically responsible for the following:
- Appraisal fees for new house or property
- New or updated Survey and Elevation fees on the property
- Title insurance, Title Abstract, Title Exam, and any other Title fees that may be applicable
- Prorated flood and home insurance
- Prorated property taxes, condo dues and/or homeowner’s association dues, if applicable
- Origination or Application fees for mortgages and/or home equity lines, if you need one
- Recording fees for documents
This is not an all inclusive list, but gives you a good idea of what is typically required from the buyer.
For more information on buying a home, please see our Educational Videos.